Although Mohammed Merah, the suspect in Monday’s killings in Toulouse, is not yet in police custody as was previously reported, he apparently told authorities that he would surrender later in the evening. According to The Times of Israel, Merah has been in a standoff with police throughout all of Wednesday.
French Prosecutor Francois Molins said Wednesday evening Mohammed Merah “expresses no regret, only that he didn’t have time to have more victims.” “And he even bragged of bringing France to its knees,” said the prosecutor.
Merah “had foreseen other killings — notably he foresaw another attack this morning, targeting a soldier,” Molins said, adding that Merah also planned to attack two police officers. “He claims to have always acted alone.”
French authorities negotiated with Merah throughout the day. He also reportedly told them he did not want to die “a marytr,” and thus would hand himself over to them.