- About Israel
- News & Blog
- World Opinion
- Take Action Now
The recent Hezbollah attack in the Golan Heights that killed two IDF soldiers and wounded seven showed once again that Israel is threatened from all sides. Yediot Achronot hammers this point home today as it reports that Syrian and Hezbollah forces are advancing toward the Israeli Golan Heights:
Syrian troops and fighters from Lebanese terror group Hezbollah seized several towns and villages south of Damascus on Wednesday, state media and activists said, advancing in a region bordering the Israeli Golan Heights.
“The operations are being led by Hezbollah’s special forces,” said Rami Abdurrahman, who heads the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. “Their aim appears to be to eventually reach areas bordering the occupied Golan and set up a border zone under Hezbollah’s control.”
The Observatory, which relies on a network of activists around the country, said Iranian volunteers are also taking part in the fighting. It said 20 opposition fighters were killed there on Tuesday alone.
Hezbollah has been fighting alongside forces loyal to Assad, saying it is battling Sunni Islamic extremists who pose a threat to the whole region. Israeli officials accuse Iran, through Hezbollah, of working to establish a base in southern Syria to launch attacks against the Jewish State.
Comments (21) »
Thursday, February 12th, 2015 at 8:36 AM | Stand For Israel
In yesterday’s Daily Dispatch, we reported that Hamas, Fatah, and other Palestinian terror groups had congratulated Hezbollah on the deadly strike this week that killed two IDF soldiers and wounded seven. Now The Times of Israel’s Elhanan Miller reports that Hezbollah is congratulating itself on the attack, while threatening more such violence against Israel:
Comments (4) »
A day after Hezbollah’s deadly attack on an IDF convoy on Lebanon’s border with Israel, the organization on Thursday touted the strike as a masterful display of military prowess and intelligence acuity while collecting plaudits from abroad.
The Shiite terror group received letters of congratulation from across the Arab world, including from rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah, according to a report in pro-Hezbollah daily As-Safir.
Mahmoud Abbas’s movement displayed an image of Hezbollah’s claim of responsibility on its official Facebook page.
Hezbollah head Hassan Nasrallah had postponed a much-anticipated appearance from last week to Friday, “opting for a response before the speech, not vice versa,” reported As-Safir.
“This is the first installment of the open account between us and Israel,” As-Safir quoted Nasrallah as saying.
But despite Nasrallah’s promise of more to come, the excited coverage on Lebanese media affiliated with Hezbollah indicated the mission was complete, and characterized it as a job well done.
According to As-Safir, Hezbollah’s attack on the IDF convoy was a necessary response to Israel’s alleged airstrike in Quneitra last week, an attack which had “tried to change the rules of engagement” along the northern border.
Friday, January 30th, 2015 at 8:27 AM | Stand For Israel
As the dust settles after Hezbollah’s attack on the Israeli-Lebanon border killed two IDF soldiers and wounded seven, the Lebanese terrorist organization claims to be seeking calm. However, Israel Hayom’s Yoav Limor writes that Hezbollah will act again, and that Israel’s borders with Syria and Lebanon are now theaters of war:
Even if the flare-up in the north has been extinguished, it sent a disturbing message: The northern front is awakening, both on the Syrian and Lebanese borders, and it is doubtful that Hezbollah is deterred from acting again.
The Israel Defense Forces has yet to officially declare a return to normalcy, but the messages Israel received from Hezbollah, via UNIFIL, indicated that Hezbollah was seeking calm. Despite the heavy price paid, Israel’s defense establishment can move on from the recent events in the north …
It will take time to determine if the message was received and Hezbollah will be deterred from operating again in the Golan Heights. Most official Israeli entities believe the answer is no and that the renewal of Hezbollah’s activities in the Har Dov area indicates a significant change in the security reality in the north. This is bad news, because the consequences of this change are far-reaching and problematic. The concern is that we are now on a downward slope to another war in the north, sooner or later.
Even if both sides do not want such a war to take place, the IDF must take advantage of the upcoming time period to boost its readiness (mostly in the operational realm) for such a scenario. Lessons must be learned from both Operation Protective Edge and the recent events in the north …
Both the borders with Syria and Lebanon are now not just hostile ones, but also theaters of war, requiring a change of operational behavior and thinking. Given the current frenzy in the Middle East, it will not be…Read More » Comments (12) »
Thursday, January 29th, 2015 at 8:59 AM | Stand For Israel
As we report in today’s Daily Dispatch, the two IDF soldiers killed in yesterday’s Hezbollah attack on the Lebanon border will be laid to rest today in Israel. Now all of Israel and the world wait to see what the next developments will be. The Times of Israel’s Avi Issacharoff looks at the perilous situation and says that neither side wants an all-out war, though the same was true in 2006:
The latest developments along the northern border can be summed up in a single word: escalation. The rocket fire on Tuesday toward the Golan Heights and Wednesday’s anti-tank missile attack against an IDF convoy in the Mount Dov area, in which two soldiers were killed, show that Hezbollah seeks to convey to Israel that it is not afraid of full-fledged war.
The Shiite group may even actively seek to draw Israel into a ground incursion in the Syrian Golan …
Despite the indications that a further deterioration may be lurking just around the corner, we can safely say that Hezbollah is not running headstrong to all-out war with Israel. There has been no action as of this writing that indicated a true desire for war, or that we could witness rocket fire against the center of the country and against major cities like Haifa and Tiberias. As of yet, this is not the story.
Thing is, once Hezbollah decides to play a game of “catch me if you can” by targeting IDF soldiers, it is hard to tell how far things will spiral. It can begin with “only” anti-tank missiles, escalate to an Israeli response hitting Hezbollah targets, which will be answered by the Shiite group, and so on and so forth, until both sides find themselves at war without having wished for it. Hezbollah was not looking for war when it abducted Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev on July 12, 2006 …
And there is another question to ponder: How will Hamas act in case of an escalation in the north? The last war against Hezbollah started when the organization decided…Read More » Comments (1) »
Thursday, January 29th, 2015 at 8:42 AM | Stand For Israel
In an attack on an IDF patrol on the Israeli-Lebanon border today, two IDF soldiers were killed and seven more were wounded:
Two soldiers were killed Wednesday when an Israeli army patrol came under anti-tank fire from Hezbollah operatives in the northern Mount Dov region along the border with Lebanon.
The IDF confirmed that at least seven soldiers were wounded in the attack and ruled out the possibility that a soldier had been kidnapped.
The two soldiers were not immediately named. They were identified as a company commander and a combat soldier.
The incident took place in an area of the border that doesn’t have a fence. At the same time, and for over an hour after the attack, IDF positions in the area, as well as on nearby Mount Hermon, were hit with mortar shells.
Israel responded to the attack with artillery strikes in southern Lebanon.
Stand for Israel will keep you updated on these events, and we ask you to join us in praying for the injured soldiers, as well as the families of those who were killed.Comments (18) »
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 at 8:44 AM | Stand for Israel
Israel allegedly carried out an airstrike against terrorist targets in Syria, killing Hezbollah members, Iranian operatives, and the son of one of the most notorious anti-American and anti-Israel murderers ever. Michael J. Totten analyzes the terrorists involved, as well as those still alive to threaten the Jewish state:
Jihad Mugniyeh, son of notorious Hezbollah commander Imad Mugniyeh, was just killed by an Israeli airstrike in Syria near the Golan Heights.
Hezbollah is fighting against Sunni jihadists in Syria on behalf of the Iranian and Syrian regimes, but that doesn’t mean it has abandoned its war against Israel. If the Syrian regime doesn’t survive, Hezbollah won’t be able to receive high-grade weapon systems from Iran anymore. It already has a formiddable missile arsenal and can now—unlike during the 2006 war—inflict signinificant damage on Tel Aviv and even Jerusalem if it dares. But with Assad out of the picture, once those missiles are gone, they’re gone, and Hezbollah would be downgraded from the quasi state-conventional actor that it is now to a mere guerrilla and terrorist organization again.
It’s not clear how important the now-deceased commander Jihad Mugniyeh was, but his father was a bloodthirsty psychopath with the blood of hundreds of people under his fingernails. Many of us have forgotten, but he was the most notorious anti-American terrorist in the world before Osama bin Laden usurped the position.
Mugniyeh orchestrated the bombing of the US Embassy in Beirut in 1983 that killed 63 people, as well as the suicide truck bombings against French paratroopers and US peacekeepers that same year that killed 299 in one day. The attack against the Marine barracks was the single deadliest strike against the US Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima. He hijacked TWA Flight 847 from Athens to Rome in 1985 and executed US Navy diver Robert Stethem and dumped his body onto the tarmac. The rest of the passengers were held hostage for weeks in Beirut during the Lebanese civil war.
Argentina charged Mugniyeh with murdering 114 people in…Read More » Comments (23) »
Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 at 8:37 AM | Stand for Israel
Yesterday Stand for Israel discussed the reported Israeli airstrikes in Syria – strikes that took out weapons bound for the terrorist group Hezbollah. Writing at Israel Hayom, Professor Eyal Zisser explains that Hezbollah, Iran, and what is left of Syria make up an axis of evil whose priority is the destruction of Israel:
There is little left of Syria as we knew it, with the exception of one thing — the strategic alliance between Damascus, Tehran and Hezbollah, which has only grown stronger over the past few years. The deeper Assad has become embroiled in the quagmire of civil war, the more dependent he has become on his Iranian ally and its proxy, Hezbollah.
It is doubtful that Assad could have survived this long without the financial aid Iran has afforded Syria, but the assistance lent to him by Hezbollah has also been crucial to his ability to maintain his grip on the regime. The thousands of Hezbollah fighters sent to battle the rebels may not have been able to defeat them, but it is Hezbollah’s hundreds of wounded and dead that have been keeping Assad in power.
Iran and Hezbollah have made it their mission to save Assad, because Syria is pivotal to the Shiite axis they seek to install between Tehran, Baghdad, Damascus and Beirut. Syria is Iran’s gateway to the Mediterranean, as well as a crucial supply route through which Iran continues to arm Hezbollah with tens of thousands of missiles.
Assad, for his part, feels obligated to do his Shiite allies’ bidding. After all, for years emissaries from Washington and Jerusalem whispered in his ear that he should sever his ties with the axis of evil, strike a peace deal with Israel and restore diplomatic relations with the U.S., but at the moment of truth, the U.S. became his adversary while Iran rallied to his side.
Syria’s alliance with Iran and Hezbollah is so strong that Assad has not thought twice…Read More » Comments (4) »
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 at 8:37 AM | Stand For Israel
Yesterday, reports came in of airstrikes within Syria. The Jerusalem Post reports that the strikes were allegedly carried out by the Israeli Air Force (IAF) and targeted weapons caches of the terror group, Hezbollah:
Comments (1) »
Syrian opposition sources told Arab media on Monday that the airstrikes near Damascus that were alleged to have been carried out by Israeli warplanes destroyed a storage facility housing anti-aircraft missiles as well as drones belonging to Hezbollah.
While the Lebanese Shi’ite group has yet to officially comment on the attack, Channel 2 is citing a report in the Hezbollah-affiliated newspaper Al-Akhbar which said that “the Israeli action was intended to preserve the rules of the game.”
The newspaper claimed that the IAF struck weapons caches “that belonged to Hezbollah.” These arms are considered to be “capable of tilting the strategic balance,” namely threaten Israel’s ability to act freely in the skies above Lebanon.
The IAF has struck Syria several times since the start of the three-year conflict, mostly destroying weaponry such as missiles that Israeli officials said were destined for their longtime foe Hezbollah in neighboring Lebanon …
An IDF spokesman said he would not comment on “foreign reports.”
At Sunday’s cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel was following developments in the Middle East with great interest, because “a great deal is happening.”
“We will remain constantly with our hand on the pulse, and we will deal with these threats and challenges because they do not take a time-out,” Netanyahu said.
“We will deal with them with the same degree of responsibility that we have done up until now.”
Monday, December 8th, 2014 at 8:46 AM | Stand For Israel
Operation Protective Edge saw the IDF put a dent in Hamas’ terrorist capabilities. But Israel is all too aware that it has other enemies who wish to do her harm. One of these threats is the terrorist group Hezbollah, though The Washington Post’s Hugh Naylor reports that the Lebanese terror group is not as mighty as it once was:
Hezbollah has won grudging respect, even from some foes, for its tenacious guerrilla campaigns against Israel. But now Lebanon’s most powerful military organization is losing its aura of invincibility.
Tactics that the Shiite group has used against Israeli soldiers are being inflicted on its own forces by militants from the Islamic State and the al-Qaeda-affiliated Jabhat al-Nusra, which have carved out footholds in Lebanon along the porous Syria border.
The growing number of attacks and kidnappings by the Sunni militants represent the opening of yet another military front for Hezbollah. It already has thousands of troops deployed in Syria to bolster President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, while still more are facing Israel in southern Lebanon.
“Hezbollah is spread thin. They are waging so many battles and are positioned on so many fronts,” said Imad Salamey, associate professor of political science at the Beirut-based Lebanese American University.
Classified as a terrorist organization by the United States and European Union, Hezbollah was created in the turmoil following Israel’s 1982 invasion of Lebanon. The militant group forced Israel to end its occupation of southern Lebanon in 2000 and inflicted a heavy blow on Israel during a 34-day war in 2006. Hezbollah’s forces are better armed than Lebanon’s army, which plays a subordinate role.
Hezbollah also developed expansive charitable networks and a political movement that exerts considerable influence over the country’s parliament.
The group owes its power, in part, to an ample supply of weapons from the Iranian and Syrian governments, which form an anti-Western axis that allows Tehran to project influence to the Mediterranean and Israel’s borders. The weapons are largely funneled through Syria.
So when Assad’s forces started sustaining serious defeats…Read More » Comments (1) »
Thursday, October 30th, 2014 at 3:14 PM | Stand For Israel
We’ve been keeping you updated on the recent rising hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah. Today, The Algemeiner reports that not only has the Lebanon-based terror group announced its intention to attack Israel, the IDF has fired on infiltrators on Israel’s northern border:
Comments (3) »
As another shooting incident heated up Israel’s border with Lebanon on Monday, a Hezbollah-affiliated newspaper, al-Akhbar, has reported that the Shi’ite terror group has resolved to renew overt military operations against Israel.
According to initial reports, IDF soldiers from the Horev infantry battalion opened fire on what the Israeli 0404 news site referred to as “three suspicious figures” that had entered a “no-go” area adjacent to an army outpost at Har Dov, along the northern side of Mt. Hermon.
Troops reportedly opened fire in order to frighten off the intruders, when they spotted what they believed to be roadside explosive charges carried by the individuals. There was no report of injury to either side in the confrontation.
The trio fled back within Lebanese territory, and the army is searching the area, according to the report.
The incident comes in the wake of a series of hostile encounters between the IDF and Hezbollah in recent weeks …
Hezbollah is prepared to “storm the Zionist regime by its high-precision missiles,” Lt. General Hossein Salami of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps’ said.
“Today, all the residents in the occupied territories feel insecure and the security of the occupied territories is in an equation that on one side the powerful Hezbollah exists which is ready to storm the occupied territories and everyone knows the destruction power and preciseness of its weapons…”
Monday, October 20th, 2014 at 12:43 PM | Stand for Israel