- About Israel
- News & Blog
- World Opinion
- Take Action Now
The Fellowship is continuing to provide blankets and heating checks to elderly throughout Israel as part of its Operation Warmth campaign, and new statistics released by The Fellowship on Thursday show that this lifesaving initiative is more critical than ever:
Comments (1) »
The IFCJ released statistics on Thursday gathered by some 2,000 volunteers participating in the organization’s annual “Operation Warmth,” a heating project for the elderly launched earlier this month. …
According to the IFCJ’s findings, 10 percent of Israel’s elderly cannot afford to eat a hot meal at least once a day, and 20 percent forgo using hot water due to the high costs.
The statistics were collected by IFCJ volunteers during hundreds of home visits throughout Israel. They used a unique smart-phone application developed by the IFCJ to collect data – in real time – on the living conditions of the country’s disadvantaged elderly.
The findings further indicate that one in five of the homes surveyed by volunteers did not have sufficient insulation, and one in four suffered from serious dampness.
As part of the heating campaign, the IFCJ has distributed NIS 8.5 million in heating grants to some 25,000 impoverished elderly eligible for the Nursing Care Law and receiving old-age benefits, including income supplements.
The grants, totaling NIS 350 per person, were provided in the form of a check that could be cashed at any bank. They were distributed by social workers and IFCJ volunteers in 62 local authorities that do not receive National Insurance Institute heating grants for the elderly.
Friday, January 23rd, 2015 at 9:04 AM | Stand For Israel
Yesterday we kept you updated on the vicious stabbing attack on a Tel Aviv bus, including the story of a brave eighth grader who fought the terrorist off with his backpack. Today, The Jerusalem Post provides these gripping eyewitness accounts of the Holy Land’s latest brush with terror:
For almost two hours on Wednesday morning, one of central Tel Aviv’s busiest junctions was gripped with fear and adrenaline, as dozens of witnesses and journalists recounted the city’s first lonewolf terrorist attack in over two months.
Kazis Metzliyah, the head of the traffic division for the Dan bus company, was one of the first to hear about the attack. Around 7:30 a.m. his phone rang, and on the other end was Herzl Biton, the driver of the No. 40 bus.
Moments earlier, Biton had been stabbed repeatedly by the attacker, whom the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) named as 23-year-old Hamza Muhammad Hassan Matruch from Tulkarm. “He told me he was going to die, and if he does, to take care of his children for him … ”
Moses Collins witnessed the attack from a second No. 40 bus riding behind the one where the attack happened.
He saw people running off the bus in front of him, he said, but didn’t understand why at the time. His bus stopped, and the passengers got off and gathered on the pavement, unsure of what had happened on the bus in front of them.
Collins said he had seen the attacker run south down Menachem Begin and then disappear off a side street.
Standing at the scene on Wednesday, one could piece together the timeline of the attack – if one just followed the blood …
The blood remained in the parking lot around the corner, where Ezra Malfout, a middle- aged employee of the lot, stood helping a customer.
“They’re lucky I was a medic in a combat unit. Two of the victims were stabbed and laid here, and I helped them and stopped the bleeding until the…Read More » Comments (3) »
Thursday, January 22nd, 2015 at 8:56 AM | Stand For Israel
This week, Stand for Israel has been keeping close tabs on Iran’s escalated threats against Israel, the Islamic republic vowing revenge for the Iranian operatives killed in an airstrike on terrorists near the Syrian-Israeli border. Now The Times of Israel reports on the first images of an Iranian missile that has a dangerously far-reaching range:
Comments (16) »
Iran has built a 27-meter-long missile, capable of delivering a warhead “far beyond Europe,” and placed it on a launch pad at a site close to Tehran, an Israeli television report said Wednesday, showing what it said were the first satellite images of the missile ever seen in the West …
The Channel 2 news report showed satellite imagery documenting what it said was Iran’s “very rapid progress” on long-range missile manufacture.
It showed one photograph of a site near Tehran, which it said the West had known about for two years, where Iran was working on engines for its long-range missiles.
It then showed a satellite photograph of a second site, nearby, which featured a launch pad, with the 27-meter missile on it — an Iranian missile “never seen before” by the West … capable of carrying a conventional or non-conventional warhead “far beyond Europe,” the report added.
The TV report said the satellite images were taken by the Eros B commercial Earth observation satellite, which was designed and manufactured by Israel Aircraft Industries, launched in 2006, and is owned by the Israeli firm ImageSat International.
Israel has long charged that Iran is working toward a nuclear weapons capability, and has publicly opposed any negotiated accommodation with Iran that would leave it with a uranium enrichment capability for potential nuclear weapons use.
Thursday, January 22nd, 2015 at 8:35 AM | Stand For Israel
In today’s Daily Dispatch, we brought you David Horovitz’s in-depth look at the suspicious death of an Argentine prosecutor who’d been investigating an anti-Semitic bombing. Now The Algemeiner reports that a group of Israelis visiting Argentina has been targeted by an anti-Semitic attack:
Comments (5) »
A group of Israeli tourists has been forced to leave a hostel in Lago Puelo, a national park in Argentina’s Patagonia region, following a violent antisemitic attack which left ten people injured.
Argentine newspaper Clarín reported that three assailants carried out the attack against the Onda Azul hostel, which is popular with Israeli backpackers. Sergio Polak, the owner of the hostel, said, “There were several hours of terror. They shouted, ‘f***ing Jews, you are stealing Patagonia.’”
Wednesday, January 21st, 2015 at 4:08 PM | Stand For Israel
Liel Suissa, an 8th grader from Bat Yam, was on his way to his new high school Wendesday morning, when a Palestinian terrorist armed with a knife began to attack people on the number 40 bus in central Tel Aviv.
“The terrorist suddenly began stabbing,” the 13-year-old recalled. “We all ran back. Most people came flying towards me.
“I was sitting on the bus and I heard people shouting. The terrorist had suddenly gone to the driver and stabbed him. He was shouting things, but I couldn’t hear clearly. I saw him stab the driver, and I ran to the back with the others to get away from him. He approached us, I broke the window and got out.”
Suissa added: “I threw my bag at the terrorist as he approached so he would not come closer. The driver hit the brakes when the terrorist approached us. The terrorist flew into the air and I used my elbow to break the window so that we could get out. The driver opened the door as well.
“He chased us even after we left the bus, with the knife in his hand. I ran behind some cars, and when the security guards came to chase him, I pointed to where he had run. They said afterwards that they had shot him in the leg. I was nervous at first, but then I got over it. I feel alright. It felt like a movie, not like something real. There was a lot of stress.”
Comments (32) »
Wednesday, January 21st, 2015 at 11:34 AM | Stand For Israel
Terror has returned to the Holy Land today. While France’s recent Islamist attacks are still fresh in our minds, The Times of Israel reports that on Wednesday a Palestinian terrorist stabbed more than a dozen people aboard a Tel Aviv bus, wounding several of them seriously:
Comments (11) »
A Palestinian man stabbed commuters on a Tel Aviv bus during rush hour Wednesday morning, injuring some 17 people, several seriously, police said.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said it was a terror attack.
Four of the victims were hospitalized in serious condition, another five were left in a moderate condition, and the remaining were lightly injured according to media reports.
The attacker was identified as a Palestinian from the West Bank city of Tulkarem, 23. He was shot after a short chase, during which he continued to stab people on the street, and taken into police custody.
He was named later as Hamza Matrouk, 23, of the West Bank town of Tulkarem. He was in Israel illegally. He said he was motivated to carry out the terror attack by the Israel-Hamas war this summer, and recent tensions surrounding the Temple Mount.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed incitement against Israel by the Palestinian Authority, and its head Mahmoud Abbas, for the attack. Hamas praised the attack as heroic …
The attack occurred at about 7:30 a.m. on a No. 40 bus heading north through the city from Bat Yam.
The attacker first stabbed the bus driver, Herzl Biton, who attempted to fight back, including using pepper spray, before attacking others as passengers attempted to escape the scene. Biton was among those seriously injured.
Officers from a prison service who happened to be nearby and saw the bus swerving out of control and a man running away, gave chase, shot the man in the leg, wounding him lightly and subsequently arrested him.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2015 at 9:16 AM | Stand For Israel
Yesterday Stand for Israel reported on this weekend’s airstrike against Hezbollah and Iranian terrorists. Now Arutz Sheva reports that Iran – and its terrorist proxy, Hezbollah – have vowed retaliation and revenge against the Jewish state:
Comments (5) »
Thousands gathered Wednesday in Tehran at a funeral procession for a Revolutionary Guards general killed in an Israeli airstrike in Syria, after his commander warned the Jewish state it should “await destructive thunderbolts.”
General Mohammad Ali Allahdadi died alongside six terrorists from the Lebanese-based Iran-proxy terror group Hezbollah, in a strike Sunday near Quneitra on the Syrian-controlled side of the Golan Heights …
“The path of martyr Allahdadi is unstoppable and will be continued until the liberation of the Holy Quds (Jerusalem) and obliteration of the Zionist regime,” Guards commander Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said at a ceremony at the base, according to the official IRNA news agency.
The mourners chanted “Death to Israel” and burned two Israeli flags.
Allahdadi died alongside terrorist leader Jihad Mughniyeh, the son of former Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh, along with Mohammed Issa, a terrorist responsible for the Lebanese terror group’s operations in Syria and Iraq …
On Tuesday, Jafari took aim at Israel, saying “the Zionists should await destructive thunderbolts.”
“They have in the past seen our wrath,” he said, adding that the Guards “will continue its support for Muslim fighters and combatants in the region.”
Wednesday, January 21st, 2015 at 9:02 AM | Stand For Israel
This weekend’s alleged Israeli airstrike not only eliminated top Hezbollah members, but Iranian operatives, as well. Writing at Israel Hayom, Boaz Bismuth says that this illustrates the more dangerous and more radicalized Middle East that threatens Israel today:
In the Middle East, change is not usually for the best. Sunday’s incident just across the border from us in Syria, in which Jihad Mughniyeh and a cell of terrorists, including Lebanese and Iranian nationals, were eliminated, was an example of the new Middle East in which we live. Today, our enemies have become only more dangerous, more radical and more fragmented.
The new Middle East we were promised has merely produced the disintegration of Arab nations in our neighborhood. Syria and Iraq already realized long ago that maintaining sovereignty over their entire territories is a thing of the past. Shiites against Sunnis, government forces against extremist militias — everyone is battling for control of the Arab world, the unity of which has turned into a myth. It is tough to talk about one Arab world, given what is going on in Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Libya. Everything is split and smashed to pieces. The vacuum left by collapsed governments has been filled by groups many times more dangerous than they governments they replaced. Our enemies have not decreased in number in the new Middle East. Rather, they have multiplied …
The new Middle East has brought Iran, Hezbollah, al-Qaida, the Islamic State group and the Nusra Front to our borders. Just a few months ago, the Nusra Front seized control of the Quneitra border crossing for a short time. For Israel, the current situation represents a nightmare scenario that has materialized. Sunday’s incident in Syria was a reminder that before we have peace, we will likely have more war. It looks like we have more military action, rather than diplomatic initiatives, on the horizon. And those who say this should be the opposite must be asked –…Read More » Comments (19) »
Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 at 8:50 AM | Stand for Israel
Israel allegedly carried out an airstrike against terrorist targets in Syria, killing Hezbollah members, Iranian operatives, and the son of one of the most notorious anti-American and anti-Israel murderers ever. Michael J. Totten analyzes the terrorists involved, as well as those still alive to threaten the Jewish state:
Jihad Mugniyeh, son of notorious Hezbollah commander Imad Mugniyeh, was just killed by an Israeli airstrike in Syria near the Golan Heights.
Hezbollah is fighting against Sunni jihadists in Syria on behalf of the Iranian and Syrian regimes, but that doesn’t mean it has abandoned its war against Israel. If the Syrian regime doesn’t survive, Hezbollah won’t be able to receive high-grade weapon systems from Iran anymore. It already has a formiddable missile arsenal and can now—unlike during the 2006 war—inflict signinificant damage on Tel Aviv and even Jerusalem if it dares. But with Assad out of the picture, once those missiles are gone, they’re gone, and Hezbollah would be downgraded from the quasi state-conventional actor that it is now to a mere guerrilla and terrorist organization again.
It’s not clear how important the now-deceased commander Jihad Mugniyeh was, but his father was a bloodthirsty psychopath with the blood of hundreds of people under his fingernails. Many of us have forgotten, but he was the most notorious anti-American terrorist in the world before Osama bin Laden usurped the position.
Mugniyeh orchestrated the bombing of the US Embassy in Beirut in 1983 that killed 63 people, as well as the suicide truck bombings against French paratroopers and US peacekeepers that same year that killed 299 in one day. The attack against the Marine barracks was the single deadliest strike against the US Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima. He hijacked TWA Flight 847 from Athens to Rome in 1985 and executed US Navy diver Robert Stethem and dumped his body onto the tarmac. The rest of the passengers were held hostage for weeks in Beirut during the Lebanese civil war.
Argentina charged Mugniyeh with murdering 114 people in…Read More » Comments (18) »
Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 at 8:37 AM | Stand for Israel
Family of the four Jewish men gunned down last week in a kosher supermarket in Paris waited anxiously at Israel’s Ben Gurion Airport for the bodies of their loved ones. It was heartbreaking to see the bodies being carried off the plane in wooden boxes, on the same tarmac where hundreds of thousands of Jews have taken a first step toward freedom and security after fleeing the same hatred that led to these young men’s deaths.
Addressing their families and the thousands of Israelis who attended the joint funeral, Israel’s President Reuven Rivlin bemoaned the fate of these young men: “This is not how we wanted you to arrive in the land of Israel. This is not how we wanted to see you come home, to the state of Israel, and to Jerusalem, its capital.”
Echoing the president’s sentiment, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu decried the declining situation faced by Europe’s Jews. In France, simply wearing a kippah or the Star of David makes one a target. Since the supermarket shootings, the nation’s Jewish schools are now under the protection of the French military.
Can you imagine your children’s elementary school under military protection, where the first people they see each morning are guards in military fatigues brandishing machine guns? That’s what life is like for Jews in France. If you think these measures are over the top, recall how not too long ago an Islamist gunman walked into a Jewish elementary school in Toulouse, France, shooting and killing little Jewish children (ages 8, 6, and 3) at point blank range.
But Israel is more than just a refuge for Jews escaping a world filled with anti-Semitism. Our land is the only place where the Jewish people have a future. We are here because God gave this land to us as an inheritance. We want Jews around the world to come home with their heads held high, not wrapped in prayer shawls and inside boxes to be buried.
To Jews in France, and everywhere else in the world, the time has come to return home. This…Read More » Comments (50) »
Friday, January 16th, 2015 at 8:47 AM | Stand for Israel