- About Israel
- News & Blog
- World Opinion
- Take Action Now
May 23, 2013
Syrian Forces Fire on Israeli Troops
An Israeli military jeep came under fire this week from Syrian forces. Israel says the vehicle was on a patrol in the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights when it was hit. This was the first time Syria admitted to firing on Israeli troops across the border.
Also this week in Israel in the News:
• Rival Palestinian groups once again are planning to form a national unity government — a move opposed by both Israel and the U.S.
• The U.S. Senate this week voted unanimously to support Israel if they are forced to attack Iran.
• Russia’s foreign minister defends Moscow’s recent weapons sale to Syria.
• CIA Director John Brennan paid a surprise visit to Israel this week.
• A bill that would send small arms to rebel groups in Syria is up for vote in the U.S. Senate.
This week’s Israel in the News Perspective features Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, founder and CEO of The Fellowship, on the dual character of Israel as a democratic state and a Jewish state.